Bansko is situated in the most beautiful part of Pirin Mountain and offers to all visitors excellent conditions for mountain sports and tourism. Unlike many other winter resorts, here the hotel facilities are situated exclusively in the town. Bansko mountain resort offers the most up to date infrastructure available to tourists for a perfect winter vacation.During these winter months the cabin/gondola
Just off the northeast corner of pl. Vazrazhdane there is the Rilski Metoh that has now been restored to the Orthodox Church and is once again a nunnery affiliated to Rila Monastery. However, the building still contains an Icon Museum from Communist times, showing the achievements of Bansko's 19th century icon painters.
The Church of Sveta Troitsa, on the south side of pl. Vazrazhdane, got the go-ahead after Bansko merchants paid off a local official to declare that a miraculous icon had been discovered on the site (which qualified it as "holy ground" suitable for a Christian place of worship). A wall was then raised to conceal the townsfolk's' enlargement of the church beyond the size set by Ottoman clerks - for
Across town, east of the train station, is located the early 19th century Church of Sveta Bogoroditsa. The church is an atmospheric, semi-submerged structure beside the town cemetery. Nowadays, most of its treasures have been moved to the Icon Museum.
Bansko's modern, pedestrianized zone is centred around pl. Nikola Vaptsarov, named after the revolutionary poet. On the corner of the square, near a postwar statue of Vaptsarov in a declamatory pose, is the house where he was born, now the Nikola Vaptsarov Museum which recreates his childhood home and expounds on his life and poetry (in Bulgarian only).It is a historical monument of national significance.
Bansko's old town begins a short way uphill on pl. Vazrazhdane, dominated by a large monument to an even more renowned son of Bansko, Otets (Father) Paisii, also known as Paisii of Hilendar (1722-73), author of the Slav-Bulgarian History. It begun in 1745, when Paisii became a monk at the Bulgarian monastery on Mount Athos, but not widely distributed until over fifty years later.
Behind the Church of Sveta Troitsa, there is the Neofit Rilski House - Museum that remembers another key figure in the 19th century resurgence of Bulgarian education and church life, Neofit Rilski. He was born in Bansko in 1793, was son of the local priest, Rilski looked set to join one of the local icon-painting studios until a visit to Rila filled him with enthusiasm for the monastic life. The museum
A couple of minutes' walk south of pl. Vazrazhdane, the Velyanova Kashta, at Velyan Ognev , is a typical stone Bulgarian house, packed with 19th century furnishings and rugs, providing a good idea of how Bansko's better-off citizens once lived.